August kicks off summer movie nights
There are few better summer city activities than gathering some friends, snacks, and a blanket, and watching an outdoor film screening.
Good thing August is summer movie month in Downtown Brooklyn. The Downtown Brooklyn Partnership is teaming up with a variety of local community partners to bring movie magic to the masses this month:
- August 6: Rooftop Films wraps up their Summer@MetroTech series, a summer-long cultural and entertainment festival, with live music and a screening of Bikes vs. Cars, a new documentary from Sweden about the daily global drama in traffic around the world.
“It has been an honor for Rooftop to be a part of the reinvigoration of Downtown Brooklyn these last four years,” said Dan Nuxoll, program director of Rooftop Films. “Huge, appreciative audiences have come out to our screenings in MetroTech Commons year after year.”
- August 10: Disney’s Frozen plays in Cadman Plaza Park, presented by Cadman Park Conservancy, NYC Parks Department, and Gristedes Supermarkets. The 2013 Disney flick is a cultural phenomenon: the highest-grossing film of its year and an Academy Award-winner for Best Animated Feature. This one is sure to be popular.
“The Cadman Park Conservancy is proud to team up with the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership and NYC Parks as Gristedes Supermarkets presents our first ever movie night in the park,” said Toba Potosky, President of the Cadman Park Conservancy. “Watching Disney’s Frozen under the stars will add extra magic to an already magical movie.”
- August 13: Our #ThrowbackThursday movie nights kick off at MetroTech Commons with The Princess Bride. The film starts at 8 pm. You bring a blanket and we’ll provide the popcorn. Inconceivable!
- August 20: Who ya gonna call? #ThrowbackThursday continues with another 80’s classic: Ghostbusters.
- August 27: Great Scott! Humankind may not (yet) have flux capacitors, nor time-traveling Deloreans, but the final entry in the #TBT series offers some solace: it’s Back to the Future.
See you at the movies!