Downtown Brooklyn Partnership announces 2019 summer events
“Downtown Brooklyn Presents” features free concerts, outdoor movie screenings, BK block parties, ping pong tournaments, and exercise classes all season long
May 15, 2019
Full calendar here and below
(Brooklyn, May 15, 2019) – Downtown Brooklyn Partnership (DBP) today announced the summer lineup for its 2019 events series, “Downtown Brooklyn Presents,” which celebrates the people and the plazas of one of the nation’s fastest growing downtowns.
This year’s series features exciting new events throughout downtown at Albee Square, MetroTech Commons, Willoughby Plaza, and the Plaza at 300 Ashland, which are all free and run through September. Kicking off the summer is Willoughby Walks, a program in which DBP partners with DOT to close several blocks of Willoughby Street for programming and safe play.
“Summer in Downtown Brooklyn has something for everyone, with events ranging from movies, dance performances, and ping pong tournaments, to our fun-filled family parties and fitness classes,” said Downtown Brooklyn Partnership President Regina Myer. “The Downtown Brooklyn Presents lineup this year reflects Downtown Brooklyn’s status as one of the most diverse, exciting and fastest growing communities in the country. This great series of events and programs really captures the vibrancy of the people, institutions and businesses that make up our neighborhood.”
DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN PRESENTS 2019:
Wednesdays, May 15, 22, and 29 | 12-8PM | Willoughby Street at Lawrence
For three consecutive Wednesdays, enjoy a traffic-free oasis on Willoughby and Lawrence Streets, each week with a different theme! In partnership with NYC Department of Transportation, and sponsored by JPMorgan Chase.
- May 15: Willoughby Jazz Fest. On the heels of New Orleans’ annual Jazz Fest, DBP is bringing the celebration to Downtown Brooklyn with brass bands, including High & Mighty Brass, a second line parade, and a 1920s dance party with Governors Island’s renowned Jazz Age Lawn Party.
- May 22: Willoughby Street Art. Breakdance performances, pop and locking classes, public art activations, DJs, an open mic, all ending in the Vinyl Nights summer kick off with DJ Misbehaviour and Kenny Parker of Boogie Down Productions, spinning all music on vinyl!
- May 29: Cirque du Willoughby. Willoughby Street transforms into a magical wonderland with street theater, stilt walkers, unicyclists, and magicians, with a dance party to wrap up the evening.
BAM DanceAfrica Bazaar
May 25 – 27 | 12:00PM - 8:00PM | The Plaza at 300 Ashland
The nation’s largest African dance festival returns to BAM and Downtown Brooklyn for its 42nd year. Visit the Plaza all weekend to experience the work of artisans and vendors.
Rooftop Films at MetroTech
May 31 – Jun 19 | 8PM—10:30PM | MetroTech Commons
Three nights of independent films, all out under the stars in the MetroTech Commons. Seating opens at 8:00PM, with live music at 8:30PM, and screenings at 9:00pm. Films TBA
- Fri, May 31 (rain date: Sat, Jun 1)
- Wed, Jun 5 (rain date: Mon, Jun 10)
- Wed, Jun 19 (rain date: Mon, Jun 19)
Walt Whitman at 200
Friday, May 31 | 3:30 – 4:30PM | Albee Square
In honor of Whitman’s 200th birthday, celebrate the Bard of Brooklyn with music and poetry. The Phil Woodmore singers perform music from the era and poets Dorianne Laux, Joseph Millar, and other invited guests read “Crossing Brooklyn Ferry”. In partnership with Brooklyn Public Library.
Movie Buzz on Albee Square - curated by Alamo Drafthouse
Tuesdays in June | Music at 5:30PM, Movies at 7PM | Albee Square
Salons, wigs, perms, and buzzes. Join us for a hair-themed movie series at Albee Square. Music at 5:30pm; film at 7. Local business Cut and Shave will set up a chair on site with free shaves and beard trims from 5:30 - 7:30pm.
- Tues, Jun 4: HAIRSPRAY (1988, dir. John Waters) – It’s Baltimore in 1962, so bring your dancing shoes and your Aqua Net, and join Tracy Turnblad as she pursues local TV fame and rallies against racial segregation in this outrageously campy comedy classic.
- Tues, Jun 11: BARBERSHOP (2002, dir. Tim Story) – Spawning sequels, spinoffs, as well as a TV series, director Tim Story’s comedy about the social life of a barbershop on the South Side of Chicago packs a heart of gold and a stellar soundtrack!
- Tues, Jun 18: STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989, dir. Herbert Ross) – You’ll laugh, you’ll cry (and we mean cry) as we follow this tightly-knit group of friends in a Louisiana beauty parlor through life’s joys, sorrows, and everything in-between.
- Tues, Jun 25: EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990, dir. Tim Burton) – The fantastical story of Edward, an innocent, abandoned “monster” with scissor blades instead of hands, and his journey from isolation to acceptance and self-discovery.
Bare Feet Brooklyn
Wednesdays in June | 6:30 - 8:30PM | Albee Square + The Plaza at 300 Ashland
Join the host of Emmy®-winning travel series Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi, as she brings some of her favorite dances to Downtown Brooklyn! Every Wednesday in June will transport you on a cultural journey through music and dance, and of course FUN! Everyone is welcome to join on the dance floor!
- June 5: Julio Jean and DjaRARA (Haiti)
- June 12: Los Pleneros de 21 (Puerto Rico)
- June 19: Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino (Italy)
- June 26: Slavic Soul Party (The Balkans)
BAM R&B Festival 2019
Thursdays, from June 6 - Aug 8 (no concert Jul 4) | 12-2PM | MetroTech Commons
For over two decades, BAM has brought lunchtime grooves to MetroTech.
Ping Pong Happy Hours @ MetroTech
Thursdays, from Jun 6 – Aug 29 | 5:00 – 7:00PM | MetroTech Commons
Summer Thursday evenings in Downtown Brooklyn are about to get happy! Happy Hours @ MetroTech will feature friendly after work ping pong tournaments with The Push. DJs will set the soundtrack for the evenings.
Sports on the Commons
All summer long | MetroTech Commons
Come watch the summer’s hottest sporting events broadcast on the big screen in the cool of the Commons. This year, the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019 is certain to be a highlight. Stay tuned to downtownbrooklyn.com for more info.
Tuesdays, from Jun 11 – Aug 27 | 5:30 - 6:15PM | MetroTech Commons
Local exercise studios lead high-intensity workouts made specifically for the MetroTech Commons.
- June: IGNITE with Chelsea Piers Brooklyn
- July: Bootcamp with MAC Gym
- August: H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training) with Dodge YMCA
Zumba with Dodge YMCA
Wednesdays, Jun 12 – Aug 28 (no class on July 3) | 5:30-6:30PM | MetroTech Commons
Sweat it out Wednesday day evenings at MetroTech with free, one-hour high impact Zumba classes by the Dodge YMCA.
Celebrate Pride: #EXCUSEMEHELLO
Friday, Jun 28 | 5-8PM | The Plaza at 300 Ashland
Presented in partnership with 651 Arts
With a bundle of bumping beats curated & spun by DJ Antonio Brown, and with the spirit of community healing at its core, #EXCUSEMEHELLO celebrates catalysts for change Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera. Conjuring a series of musical spirits in song and a promenade of dancers, Andre J performs in this theatrical installation.
BK Block Parties @ Albee Square
Jul 13 and TBD | 1:00 – 3:00PM | Albee Square Plaza
We’re back with our BK Block Parties! Kick off the day with music, giveaways, and fun for kids and adults alike. Then get some shopping done at Fulton Street Mall with our exclusive deals of the day.
- July 13: Afro-Latino Festival
- Sept (TBD): Brooklyn Back to School Bash
Mondays, Jul 1 – Oct 7 (no class on Sept 2) | 6:30 - 7:30PM | The Plaza at 300 Ashland
From Chelsea Piers’ high intensity BK Burn class and Mark Morris Dance Center’s Bollywood-inspired moves, to Brukwine’s Afro-Caribbean inspired classes, there are movement workouts for everyone.
Tuesdays, July 2 - August 27 | 12-2PM | Willoughby Plaza
Borrow a chess set from the DBP tent and play a round during your lunch hour.
Dance Around Downtown
Thursdays, July 11 – September 26 | Albee Square, Willoughby Plaza and MetroTech Commons
This summer, literally Dance Around Downtown with stops at the neighborhood’s plazas!
- July: Vinyl Nights at Albee Square, 6-9PM
Rock with The Mobile Mondays Crew as one of NYC’s most popular afterwork dance parties comes to Brooklyn! Dance to everything on vinyl from 1972-1992, Funk & Soul, Disco, Hip Hop, House, Latin & More.
- August: Salsa at Willoughby Plaza, 6-9PM
Our friends at Salsa Salsa Dance Studio will be back for our popular salsa nights. Come and learn the basics and then practice your new moves under the stars to tunes spun by DJ John John Acevedo.
- September: Swing at MetroTech Commons, 5-8PM
Swing dance with the best bands, teachers, and members of the NYC swing dance community.
Movies with MoCADA
Fridays in August | Music at 6PM, Movie at 7PM | The Plaza at 300 Ashland
Join us for a Friday night film series in partnership with the Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts (MoCADA) Films TBA.